Uche Sam, Director of Changing Attitude Nigeria is currently in Abuja representing CAN at the public hearing today on the Same gender marriage bill. On Sunday evening a Coalition of pro-gay organisations met and did a lot of training on presentation in preparation for today’s hearing. Uche prays that tomorrow will mark a day of achievement in the LGB&T communities and on Nigeria at large.
An act to prohibit Marriage between persons of Same Gender, Solemnization of same and for other matters related therewith.
The bill is sponsored by Senator Domingo Obende and others.
Be It Enacted by the National Assembly of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as following:
1. Marriage contract entered between persons of same Gender is hereby prohibited in Nigeria.
2. Marriage contract entered between persons of same gender are invalid and shall not be recognized as entitled to the benefits of a valid marriage.
3. Marriage Contract entered between persons of same gender by virtue a certificate issue by a foreign country shall be void in Nigeria, and any benefits accruing there from by virtue of the certificate shall not be enforce by any court of law in Nigeria.
4. Marriages entered between two persons of same gender shall not be solemnized in any place of worship either church or mosque in Nigeria.
5. No marriage certificate issued to parties of same sex marriage in Nigeria.
6. Only marriage contracted between a man and a woman either under Islamic Law, Customer Law and Marriage Act is Recognized as valid in Nigeria.
Offenses and penalty:
1. Persons that entered into a same sex gender marriage contract commit an offence and are jointly liable on conviction to a term of 3years imprisonment each.
2. Any person or group of persons that witness, abet and aids the solemnization of a same gender marriage contract commits an offence and liable on conviction to..
a. if an individual to a term of 5 years imprisonment or a group of persons to a fine of N2000.00 or both.
b. if a group of persons to a fine of N50,000.00 only.
3. The high court of a state shall have Jurisdiction to entertain matter arising from the breach of the provisions of this Bill.
4. In this bill unless a context otherwise requires…
Marriage here relates to a legal union entered between persons of opposite sex in accordance with the Marriage Act, Islamic and customary laws.
High Court to include High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.
Same Gender Marriage means the coming together of persons of the same sex with the purpose of living together as husband and wife or for other purposes of same sexual relationship.
5. This Bill may be cited as same Gender Marriage (prohibition) Bill.