9 September 2014: PRESS STATEMENT FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
From 15 to 17 September, the College of Bishops of the Church of England will be meeting for two days to start the process of Shared Conversations on Sexuality, Scripture and Mission.
The LGBTI Anglican Coalition welcomes this first step and our members will be praying for a successful outcome to the meeting. Although we have reservations about the context in which this is taking place – articulated very clearly in the recent letter sent from the Trustees of Changing Attitude to all those attending the meeting – nevertheless we welcome the initiative, and hope it bears fruit.
We believe that there are two specific ways in which the College can and should signal that the meeting has been successful.
– The first is to affirm in public that some of their members are themselves gay or bisexual.
– The second is to affirm that within the College there exists a diversity of opinion about the policy issues surrounding sexuality, including both the recognition of civil partnerships and the acceptability of same-sex marriage as a legal right.
These two small steps would do much to enhance the credibility of the bishops, and to encourage LGBTI clergy and laity to participate in subsequent stages of the conversations process.
Notes for Editors
The letter from Changing Attitude mentioned above can be found at http://changingattitude.org.uk/archives/8240
For further information on the Coalition contact Simon Sarmiento 07906 445695
The LGBTI Anglican Coalition provides its member organisations with opportunities to develop a shared voice for the full acceptance of LGBT people in the Church of England. The members are as follows:
– Accepting Evangelicals http://www.acceptingevangelicals.org/
– Changing Attitude http://www.changingattitude.org.uk/home/home.asp
– The Evangelical Fellowship for Lesbian and Gay Christians (EFLGC) http://www.eflgc.org.uk/default.asp – Inclusive Church www.inclusive-church.org.uk
– The Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement http://lgcm.org.uk/
– The Sibyls http://www.sibyls.co.uk/
– The United Kingdom Intersex Association (UKIA) http://www.ukia.co.uk/
– The Clergy Consultation.
More details at http://www.lgbtac.org.uk/.